Tuesday, June 3, 2014

Sunrise Sunset


You were tired, but peaceful that night, eleven years ago. Into the hospital bed I'd nestled a basin of warm water so I could wash your feet.  I washed and massaged each of your cool pale feet until they were warmed to my satisfaction.  While I worked, you quietly asked where all of the kids were that night. Once I finished reporting on each family's disposition, your face held nothing but contentment that everyone was okay.  And just like each night at home, you said you were "ready to hit the hay", although you'd been in that hospital "hay" all day long. My heart ached knowing your own heart would not be able to beat much longer.  Kissing you good night I slipped the bar of Dial soap I'd used to wash your feet into my pocket. I still have it today.

Happy heaven Dad. There is joy knowing you are in good company. We miss you but live reassured we will be reunited again.


1 comment: