Monday, March 12, 2012

Great Grandma's Window Garden

Recently I was perusing some archival family letters that were sent by my Great Grandma Genie to her mother in Iowa in the early 1900's. These letters were composed within the first years she and Great Grandpa H.P. established a farmstead a few miles north of Crookston.  

The excerpts here share the sense of humor she maintained in spite of relentless spring dirt storms.


May 18, 1915

Dear Mother -

I thought I knew what dirt storms were......when I started washing the wind was blowing a little....then it blew so hard I had to cover the clothes up in a tub in the house. Dirt blew in where snow couldn't. It came from across the road to the northwest. In one hour there was so much dust in the kitchen and pantry that when you walked, it was like it is when you walk on a dusty road. I hadn't gotten that cleaned all out of the southwest bedroom downstairs when a week ago Monday night we were treated to another hard rain/wind/dirt storm.......

Genie 

May 16, 1918 

Dear Mother - 

Am in the post office. Didn't have time to write before I left home. A week ago Sunday it was so hot - 95 degrees. Last Sunday it was so cold it even froze pie plant. It is just one dirt storm then another.

Haven't started to clean house.
 It's no use
I am thinking of having  
a window garden 
on the inside
When I get rid of my dirt,
 I am going to blow out  
of this famous Red River Valley.

Genie

Genie & H.P. 1901

No comments:

Post a Comment