Monday, April 2, 2012

Little Big Man

Napping on the couch with Grandpa





















Your awake time expired
when Grandpa got tired
And if you were wired
napping was the last thing desired

But at midday we rested
On the sofa we nested
"Peace and quiet" Grandma requested
as squirrelly youngsters were tested

You see Grandpa's arms were a nook
Held on his warm lap you'd cook
With animated voice he'd read you a book
Soon you'd be fast asleep...
His gentle voice was all it took






















His loving blue eyes so full of care
Of which my heart yet holds aware
Now all we see is that big empty chair
Oh how we wish that he was still there

I'm a man now but my mind still finds him at night
especially after the day's been a fright
His angel arms are there holding me tight
as I rest assured that everything will be alright.

The Grandpa Chair

5 comments:

  1. Love your post! The couch in the first picture caught my eye - it will forever be part of my mental picture of grandma and grandpas house along with the blue foot pillow grandma always had in the back of her green Mercury.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The couch was a classic. I remember when Mom reupholstered it in the late 60's. If it could tell stories...
      I wonder where that crazy fake fur pillow is today. Hmmm. I bet Grandma knows where it is !

      Delete
  2. Barb, this poem completely summed up what happened whenever we were over at grandpa and grandmas house when we were young. I love it!
    -Philip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Philip. I tried to capture the essence what you kids experienced.

      Delete