Saturday, January 28, 2012

Grandpa D


Happy Birthday 1971
               

Things I learned from my Grandpa 
Frank 'D'


                    










Chocolate milk is made by feeding 
Hershey chocolate bars to cows.


  

There was no reason to doubt this explanation.
Grandpa had milked cows & supplied milk to Bridgeman Creamery for 40 years.


You can eat as many pink peppermint candies 
as you want.
 
Just use a slow & steady hand 
with the lid of the 
crystal candy dish 
so Grandma doesn't catch you. 





Napping on the couch 
is good medicine. 
If a nap doesn't fix 
your problem, 
                                   Alka-Seltzer will.







 
 If you eat 
Cream of Wheat  
and 
stewed prunes for breakfast 
it will 
run right through ya. 

(Consider yourself warned.)






Husbands are to obediently 
perform any household chore the wife requests 
to the wife's precise specifications
Smile and cheerfully 
start over
if Grandma frowns at the job
you did vacuuming. 




And last, there were the "Dutch" words Grandpa 
taught me. 
For example, the word "poopaloola." 

If you were being a little stinker, Grandpa would affectionately call you a  
"little poopaloola" 

(pronounced poop - ahh - looo - lahh.) 

Any person who was particularly nutty he referred to as a "crazy poopaloola."

At some point my gullibility fell away and 
I realized that this was not a word
from the Dutch language, but my
Grandfather's confabulated word for "little sh*t."

I decided not to add a picture of a little sh*t to this last item. Certainly you understand....

A heavenly memo to my Grandpa -
I miss your big noisy "smooches" and how you called me "Bobolinks." I'll be expecting one of those sweet Grandpa kisses that tickled my cheek when we are together again....and I'd love a pink peppermint if you have some.
Love,
Bobbie 






4 comments:

  1. Great list... made my eyes water...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. Funny thing this blogging. Sometimes I find my eyes leaking when I write about my memories too.

      Delete
  2. Such sweet memories! Do you remember Gpa having pink peppermints and lemon drops in his pockets? Kathy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I remember. And he always had anise candy too. The only thing I liked was the peppermints.

      Delete